Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Third worldification of the USA


I made up this new word awhile ago (but now I see others have too) and I've been reminded this morning of it's ongoing progress. Took the car to get a smog check as part of renewing the registration. Mechanic was having trouble getting the check computer to intialize due to a leak in the exhaust probe. I guess I was looking like I was ready to leave, which I was, when the guy said he would do the test for half price if I came back tomorrow. Well, he got the machine going and I did get the test completed for the stated discount.

Bargaining for smog tests? Is nothing sacred?

Adresses, I've been amused by the lack of a numbering system in lots of Lagos, so you get addresses like: "Lekki expressway, towards Ajah, next to Eti-Osa local office". But then here I get a reference like "Lafayette Bookstore 3569 Mt. Diablo Blvd, next to Postino". Like the smog guy when I called "on the way to Target". Are we so different?

No comments: