Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's so cold

How do you guys stand it? Arrived yesterday into SFO in the rain. Breezed through customs and imigration. When the first guy marks your card with a 1 then you won't be asked to open your bags, pass right by. Caught a waiting shuttle, just by chance, didn't have any reservation and onto the freeway. Shared the ride with a young woman from India, she had been on the same BA flight, we commiserated over the total travel time. Door to door: 32 hours for her, 36 for myself.

I was actually feeling pretty good. Got upgraded to business class (seat 20D) for the leg from London and was able to sleep for a couple hours, really makes a difference to be able to lay down flat. But after 10 hours in the same seat I start to get goofy. I love that feeling about 20 minutes out when the airbrakes come out and the plane pitches down to the glide slope.

But it's cold in California, 50 degrees is just too cold. I can only go outside for a few minutes. Like just now to check the pool chemicals, back inside and rubbing my hands to revive them. Hard to believe that I won't get a power cut while typing this, habit keeps me saving frequently.
And it's dark here too. Sun comes up too late and goes down too early.

Better get started on my chores, got a costco shopping list of cheerios and other unobtainables. Renew the car registration and adjust the pool chlorinator. Routines of suburban life but made strange by three months of separation.

No comments: