Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas time in the city

I was going to write a story recounted to me on Tuesday by a fellow resident. But lots has happened since then. Gunfire last night, heard off to the east, pretty far away. How sick is it that I begin to estimate the distance? Early too, about 19:30, I saw the guard go by on his rounds during this and was quite freaked out. Ducked into the kitchen to put more walls between myself and the sound.

Talked to Melissa just now, neighbor to the west, who heard other gunfire. Guard reported to her: "Don't worry Madam, there are no guns in VGC, we keep you safe." She also mentioned the gun battle outside the Cactus restaurant yesterday afternoon. Armed robbery attempt, nothing in the papers. Jane reported witnessing a shooting on the Falomo bridge, also yesterday afternoon, no further details.

Went, well attempted, shopping trip with Sunday as the driver. We did get to the company clinic for Mefloquine refill and got a couple books from the drop one take one library, then off towards town. Traffic was bad, not just usual bad, extra bad. As we were creeping along, I noticed Sunday was agitated, squirming around in the seat. Then he blurted out: "Sir, I need to easy myself." So he dashed off to the bushes, while I took the wheel to creep along while he took care of business. He easily caught up, since the car had moved hardly at all. I had every sympathy having done the same thing several weeks ago coming home from the beach. Jump out of the car, take care of business and jump right back in.

Other news was the usual cascade of large and small disasters. Several children killed from contaminated cough syrup, branded "My Pikin" of all things. Banks closed in Ibadan because of armed miscreants. Generator fumes kill four in Iforin. Unknown gunmen assasinate traditional ruler in Enugu. Beggars in front of Park and Shop unusually strident.

Sunday tells me it's December, everyone needs a gift. I nearly fell off my seat when the radio came on with a Nigerian version of Trini Lopez's classic "Felice Navidad". OK, gift fine, but please tone down the gunplay and lower the volume.

I'm going now to float in the pool and look at the blue sky and while looking up hope not to see the workers fall off the scaffolding while they fix the tennis court lights. Please give me some peace on earth.

The sky is blue, with light clouds, bumpy underneath. Two maintenance guys up the scaffold fiddling with the lights, 7 on the ground discussing football. A couple fishermen went by poling their dugouts with every bit the grace of a Venetian.

This is where I live.

No comments: