Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's official

The wife has accepted a job back in California to start in April 2009. This has been in the works for a while so it's not a surprise, but it being official changed my thinking immediately. Now suddenly I'm thinking about what I'll miss and what I've enjoyed living here. Yes, I'm totally bipolar on this whole thing, despite being a pain in the ass, West Africa also has it's charms.

Like just now, I drove over to Rennies to buy a bottle of wine to bring to a dinner tomorrow night. Two Oceans Cabernet, pretty decent South African red. Sitting near the gate was Pious and another man, both work as drivers for other families. It's common for people to sit there to hitch a ride to the front gate, it's about a mile walk, because there's always someone going and the shuttles run only sporadically in the evening. I know Pious a little bit, he's driven me before, a real nice man, speaks english with an Indonesian accent and expressions picked up from his current boss.

We got to talking about last weeks bank robbery and Pious and the other man both had been nearby. They were excited to tell their stories but at the same time scornful of the robbers who don't work a proper job. We also soon discovered why the shuttles were slow, there was a big wahala at the front shuttle stop. Lots of shouting and gesticulating over some dispute. I was happy to drop them and move on. But it was a pleasure sharing some time with these two men.

There are inconveniences of living in Lagos, and sometimes the people seem to be rude and aggressive, but never towards me. I get greeted like: "Good morning, sir" and I do my best to know peoples names and initiate a greeting. I know that Stanley in the clubhouse is a big ManU supporter so I'm sure to remember something about a recent game to chat about. (hey, how about Rooney's two goals yesterday?)

Lagosians often have a scowl on their face that can be offputting. But say something and they will break out in the warmest smiles. Except that lady in security who takes quite a bit of cajoling before she smiles. Once they smile, they are your friends forever. We expats have started kind of a competition to see who can make that lady smile most.

It will be a year here, and it's become home. Tomorrow I'll feel sad to be on my penultimate trip to the airport. Next time it will be forever.

1 comment:

Marcus Kazmierczak said...

I guess that means London is out.