Monday, May 26, 2008

More haste, less speed

Sitting here in the aftermath of a fierce but short rain storm. Grateful Dead streaming from archive.org. (Fillmore east May 15, 1970, late show, including NRPS, set 2 group B). The clouds had gotten really black off to the east and the wind started kicking up. The usual 5 gallon plastic water container blowing around the driveway. Will they ever pick those up?

It had been a somnambulant morning, lazy bike ride, coffee with Colleen, nothing planned. As the wind started rattling the roofing, I was suddenly energized. The driver was washing the car, looking forward to lunch, the cook was finishing up, all cooking done, now cleaning and mopping.

In my excitement, I had the idea to save the cook from getting wet I would send her home early with the driver. So I had the driver wait and hurried up the cook so she could go.

If I had been paying attention at all, I would have noticed that the cook was not worried, she knew the rain would be brief and was proceeding along at her accustomed pace. The driver was concerned about lunch and not understanding why the crazy white man was worrying about rain when there are more important things at stake. He could eat free at the company cafeteria up until 14:00 which was now passing by.

I got them all hustled off in time for the rain to taper off so that I was left alone to contemplate the advantages of all these arrangements.

There was the advantage of privacy, maybe that's why I did it. Or maybe it was just another case of not knowing when to just let things be and have them work themselves out on their own.

No comments: