Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I like the canvas



I had informed the maintenance office that we had three light bulbs out. About average for a week, normal occurrence. Just now the maintenance guy rang the bell.

I showed him the three bulbs, one in the sconce in the living room, the second in the kitchen ceiling fixture, and one more upstairs. The kitchen bulb had exploded spectacularly in a shower of sparks and glass when the power came back on Saturday night.

The thing was he didn't have a ladder as he usually does. So as we were walking back down the stairs I asked, "Do you have your ladder?".
"It's outside" I heard him say.
As he went out the door, he picked my shoes off the porch, turned back and handed them to me saying, "I like the canvas".
Realizing this was an interaction that I just wasn't going to understand, I took the shoes and put them away in the storeroom.

I know "canvas" is slang for athletic shoes but how that relates to the ladder that I thought we were discussing will have to remain a mystery.

Later he returned with the ladder and replaced all the bulbs.

No comments: