Friday, May 23, 2008

The Marine Ball

Sometimes I get things just so wrong that it's just funny. Between cultures there are bound to be misunderstandings, but it doesn't have to be a cultural problem either, sometimes I just get it wrong. For example:

There were two young U.S. Marines on our recent boat trip. Quite a pair, a male recent immigrant from Khazakhstan and a woman from somewhere rural in the U.S. They acted like a couple teenagers, which they just about were, teasing and goading each other. Marines are stationed around the world to guard the embassies and consulates.

My wife was talking to them at lunch and mentioned how she was looking forward to the annual Marine ball. A must attend black tie event. She mentioned that she had brought a fancy dress just for the occasion. The Marine said the ball might be canceled this year.

I was thinking (logically I thought) that this must be due to the recent robberies, including a couple consular cars getting robbed and an invasion of the consular residential compound itself. So I blurted out, "no one will try to rob a hall full of Marines, what's the problem?".

I was totally out of line. The problem is that the ball is supported by the receipts from the club (bar) at the Marine's house. There had been a severe reduction in business recently and it wasn't clear that there would be enough funds to put on the ball.

I've decided to be a true American and support the Marines more often.

No comments: