Wednesday, May 7, 2008

How not to design an oven (HotPoint)


We had the rack of lamb to cook so I needed to figure out the oven. Fiddling with the knobs brought no sign of the thing actually turning on. Luckily, I remembered where the instructions were, right where I left them 9 months ago. On top of the fridge in the storeroom under some other papers that are probably instructions for more mysterious appliances. (And my wife says I can't find anything?) Get this, to operate the oven the clock must be set first. Seems simple enough. Except in a country where the power goes out twice a day and unsets it. What a crock!

Tip: sear seasoned rack of lamb with olive oil in a heavy pan, a pan with high sides will keep splatter to a minimum, then fan grill at 177C for at least 20 minutes. Don't believe the book that fan grill doesn't need preheating, of course it does. That was a bit rare, despite the thermometer reading, next time try 25 minutes. And yes there will be a next time because we brought two. And maybe by then I can find the other oven racks from wherever they have been hidden.

P.S. The second one came out just beautifully.

No comments: