Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Risking her life

How was I to know it was so dangerous? There was a N20 note laying on the driveway as I walked over to the guest house/maintenance office to report a burned out light bulb. I just reached down and picked it up. I didn't think that I needed to say "Blood of Jesus" or shout "Holy Ghost Fire" to avoid turning into a yam.

I wondered why the clerk at the desk looked at me funny when I put the bill onto her table. I just figured I would spread the good luck around, not realizing that I was putting her in danger. I guess it's like "step on a crack, break your mother's back" from my childhood. You can't know these things unless you grew up in them.

I had forgotten about this whole incident until reading this story in the Vanguard. From that story:

“Drop that money now, or do you want to turn into a yam? Didn’t you hear that if you pick money lying on the road, you will turn into a yam immediately. And if you turn to yam, the next thing is that you will disappear and we will start looking for you and will not see you again because gbomo-gbomo(child kidnappers) people will have used you to make money”

In fact, that column, known as "Bus Stop Parliament", has become one of my regular must reads. It's a real hoot how the author can bring to life the things people are really talking about. It might be kid's superstitions as in this case, the state of the national soccer team, or any other issue of real or imagined importance. One thing for sure is that any group of Africans will find something to debate, everyone's got an opinion and they're not afraid to share it.

My apologies to the receptionist for putting her in danger, next time I will know to take the appropriate safeguards before picking up any loose currency.

No comments: