Friday, April 17, 2009

I should know her name

But I don't. A lady just showed up with a couple others, acting like I should be ready and willing to meet her every need. One of those aging cheerleader types that think they are in charge. Maybe it was the M.D.'s (managing director) wife. I get introduced to a lot of people, but since I don't see them often it doesn't stick. It's like the wives take on the rank of their husbands. One reason that I prefer to live outside the main compound where this effect is less evident. I've heard that military bases can be like this too, I know that high schools are.

Besides the boss lady, the other woman was on her "look, see", that is familiarization visit before moving here. She had advertised a need for some rugs and my wife offered a couple of ours. From her reaction, I could see that they didn't really meet her standards, she had apparently been to several houses and was keeping a list.

I like our little place, and find it quite comfortable. But it's not a palace like some of these people set up. It's amazing how hard the wives work to make their houses look like that place where they lived in Houston. (lots of Texans in the oil biz). Step into one of those places and you'll forget where you are. I don't see the point, Houston is no place I'd want to be anyway, why try to emulate that? How about being where you are?

No comments: