Thursday, March 5, 2009

Up on the ladder

You mean I have to replace my own lightbulbs? I must be back in California, no more calling maintenance for the guy to come over, I'm on my own, shocking. So I was up on the ladder at 05:30 this morning lightbulb in hand. I was up anyway, after sleeping pretty much all day yesterday.

Found myself reaching under the dash to push the "secret" lockout button when starting the car. Took a second to realize this car doesn't have one, duh! I quoted "secret" because it seems like everyone in Lagos knows about that switch, even the cook who had advised me the first time when I was having trouble.

Also noticed that I had switched hands to free up my right to accept something from the flight attendant. Just being polite, in African terms anyway, I'm sure she didn't notice.

Cold and rainy in the bay area, how's that drought coming along, again? Delta airlines business class highly not recommended. You mean I need to get my own gas too? What a life.

But then again, the bulbs don't blow up and I'm not likely to get kidnapped in the car and I can drive wherever and anywhere I like.

But people, can't you get a little bit real? I walked into HomeDepot and an employee said "Hello" as he walked by me and was gone before I could react. No time to say "Good Morning", "How are you? How's the family?" What a bunch of cold fish fakery! At my other home, the guy may be sizing you up to kill or kidnap you, but at least you are greeted properly.

"Good morning."
"Good afternoon."
"Good evening."

That's more like it.

No comments: