Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I'm going back to what?

As my return to West Africa looms, I've been checking the news to see what's going on. I'm not sure that I can look forward to this trip. Some stories that I've noticed: (I'm not sure how long these links will be live)

1) Lebanese man kidnapped at construction site in Victoria Island. This is the upscale part of town, what? As usual, came from the water and escaped in a speedboat. Link.
2) Another building collapse (picture). Link.
3) Trouble brewing over the toll road. I had wondered when this would surface, the Government sold the only road out to where I live (Lekki penninsula) to a private company. The deal was that they would improve the road and in return collect tolls. Now that people can see the toll booths being constructed they are starting to fuss. I had predicted that as soon as the toll collection started an angry mob would burn down the booths. I'm still betting on that. Link.

I know it's not all as bad as the newpapers, but hey. We arrive Sunday morning and should get home with no problems. The issue now is how much and where should we go out? We'll have to see once we get there, maybe just lay low for the remaining two months.

No comments: