Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cancelled

Well, that was fun. Picked up this morning at 04:30 for flight to the states. Don't you know the rain started and poured just when I answered the door. The pilot (bus drivers are referred to as pilots as opposed to just plain drivers in recognition of their higher status) was really nice and backed the bus around so I could dash from my front door right into the vehicle.

The trip to the airport was uneventful although I did have to wait at the office for a while for the other passengers to arrive. I was quite pleased to see that the policeman on duty was on duty and watched out for me as I waited. Maybe I wasn't in any great danger at that time, but it was nice to see him taking his job seriously and sitting with me as I swatted a few mosquitoes in the predawn darkness. Why do those little buggers find me so attractive?

At the airport things were moving smoothly until I got to the Delta counter. "Another one", I heard the agent say and soon knew what she meant. The SFO leg of my journey had been canceled due to bad weather in the southeast, I was offered the choice of flying just to Atlanta and trying from there or rebooking the whole trip at a later date.

I took back my bags, rebooked the whole thing for two days from now and am home with spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove. I had diligently thrown out everything from the fridge, so the choices were limited.

Actually not too bad a day. A lot better than sitting in ATL competing with hundreds of angry passengers from other cancelled flights. On my rebooking I got first class from ATL to SFO so that will be nice, and what hurry am I in anyway? Not sure why the upgrade but I've been told a couple times by airline employees to be pleasant and direct in a situation like this and things will work out better.

Got Manu and Tottenham on the telly in the Carling cup final so better get back to that. Cheers.

No comments: