Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sometimes...


Sometimes I just don't know. Living in another culture it can be really hard to tell what other people are thinking. Like today, a couple of maintenance guys came over to see if they could fix our kitchen door handle. It leads outside and it really needs to operate and lock properly. The one guy seemed really gruff, almost surly to my view. They worked with the lock for a little while, took it apart and then put it back together and pronounced it fixed. I made a point of asking "Are you sure?".

As they were leaving, I noticed the gruff guy took a look at our new art work. A couple weeks ago we had bought 6 small oil paintings, each of an African woman wearing the native headgear (gele). They're currently mounted on the dining room wall.

"Do you like them" I asked.
"huh?" he replied.
"I mean the paintings, the women".
"Yes, they really show the beauty of the black woman, they are beautifully done".

Wow! That wasn't some disaffected surly maintenance guy, he was a romantic, a lover, a man.

I wonder what he thought of me?

No comments: