Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New house

The other morning when it was too rainy to ride my bike I went for a walk instead. I figured this would be a good time to bring my camera and get a few snaps of the neighborhood. A half block down from my house, there is a bright pink house that I had seen featured in a real estate brochure. I spoke to the gate guy.

"Can I take a picture?", holding up my camera.
"Why would you want to do that?" he asked.
"I, ah, well I live over there and wanted a picture to show my friends what the houses look like."
"No, no picture" he replied as another guy came out of the house to see what was going on.

I knew it was polite to ask for permission for pictures but I wasn't off to a very good start. I proceeded down the street. There are a lot of houses for sale or rent so maybe they wouldn't be so protective. At one place, I asked a guy wearing a tie figuring he was in some decision making capability. "It's not my house, do whatever you want". So I took that picture, mostly the answers were no.

At the above pictured place, I asked and then started to regret it. The house is under construction so there were several people about. The first guy I asked was from the swimming pool company but he would get the security guy. The security guy couldn't answer but he went to get the engineer. (architect?) The engineer was very polite.

"Why do you want to take a picture?"
"I live here and think it's an interesting house that I can show my friends." I said
"Well, I'm not sure. I need to ask my client. Are you the one who rides the bicycle?". He asked.
"Yes, that's me."
"Don't get annoyed, I just think it would be better if I asked. Next week when I see you on your bike I'll let you know."

I was definitely not annoyed, he was being really nice considering my interruption. And I let him know that. I figured either he was making a polite way of saying no, or maybe he really would ask. That was on a Saturday. I didn't see him again until today, Wednesday.

Sure enough he called out to me and I went over. The client had said taking the picture was fine. So I did and there it is. Makes me think of the Adam's family house, I suppose it will brighten up when it gets painted.

1 comment:

Marcus Kazmierczak said...

nice shot - that's great that he followed up on it.