Monday, September 22, 2008

I'm in the rain


Yes, it's pouring rain today and keeps me inside and I don't like it if I don't get out at least for a bike ride or a swim or walk. I suppose I could swim, but then swimming in the rain has always seemed weird to me. I mean you're all wet both below and above.

So it's just me and the computer screen, hoping the power stays on. Just for fun, I'll provide you with a couple fun links I've found to match my mood, prize winners all.

In the category of not getting it, I submit this site where research proves that rain causes green plant growth or green plants cause rain or something. Here

And looking at the pictures of the new Academy of sciences museum in San Francisco (here) , I can't help but be reminded of Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi". Featuring the classic line:

"They took all the trees and put them in a tree museum"

Life follows art? How's that go?

And I got to thinking about how inadequate photographs are in describing a place. I've heard that the memory of an odor can be the strongest reminder of a place or event and I believe it. The photos always make it look so clean. I've wondered for a while if that's why "native" type village scenes never ring true in the movies. (See the village in Mutiny on the Bounty for a perfect example, and with really bad drumming too).

So when you look at the picturesque scene above, keep in mind that it's about 40C and the sun is unbearable and you're stepping in who knows what and everything is rotting and you are too and it's noisy. Photos are always quiet, the market's not like that. Someone's calling "I give you good price", or arguing with another vendor or just yelling "Hi" and carrying on a conversation with an acquaintance about a block down the road. And there's plenty of room there for a motorcycle to zoom through with worn out horn bleating a warning.

Remember rule number one: Get in the shade. And enjoy the show.

No comments: