Sunday, May 6, 2012

Swimming in suburbia

I've been taking my grandson for lessons at the local swim center.  It's been really a deja vue experience.  His mom took lessons there, swam on the Aquabears team and was also a lifeguard.  So I was wondering if I would see some of the same coaches and I did.

Mike was the head coach at the level my daughter had been in and we met each other under the veranda.  We both stopped and stared for a second and then recognized.  What a hoot!  He remembered my daughter and a few minutes later I brought over the little guy to get introduced.  This is all about 25 years after his mom's original lessons.  Later on the way out, I recognized Rick the head coach who has been there at least 40 years and we shook hands and smiled.  I wished him luck with getting an expanded facility since his is just jammed with activities.  There's the lessons, the Aquabears (multiple age groups), the Seniors, and the world famous Aquanuts synchronized swimming team, and by the way a local high school team has been working out there while their pool gets redone.

Besides the swimming I know that one of the greatest things my daughter learned there was getting up and being on time to open the pool at 05:30am for the lap swimmers who would be already waiting outside the door.  Can't teach that in school.  And it's served her well every since.

No comments: