Sunday, May 27, 2012

Olympic Indians

What happened to white suburbia in the East Bay?  Used to be when I took my kids to swimming lessons they were all white except for the occasional Asian.  Now I'm taking my Grand-kid and it's now majority Indian.  Huh?

I do think it's important for people to learn to swim, especially in a neighborhood full of pools.  Is there an Indian history of Olympic swimmers?  No.  My kids were dreaming about Mark Spitz and maybe Summer Sanders or just playing in the water.  Has there been a Rajit Gupta Olympic swimmer?  No.  In the last summer Olympics the only medal won by an Indian was in shooting.

So 15 years from now, will we see a bunch of Indian swimmers from California?  My friend from the subcontinent says no,  their moms will make them all go to medical school.  (or Engineering or etc...)  They're looking for safe careers defined by education, not for any go for glory sort of sport thing.  Except maybe Cricket, but then we don't have that here.  So break out the Biology book and get to work.  In the meantime, I'm glad you can enjoy the water.

No comments: