Friday, January 20, 2012

Urban Furniture, San Francisco

We finally got some good hard rain this afternoon here in the Bay Area (and continuing now too) so I had an opportunity to shelter under the Muni roof at the Ball Park platform. I think last year I always walked over to BART so I never noticed this but this year I guess I'm getting soft and waiting for the train. When you spend some time waiting for a mass transit conveyance you start to learn some things. Today I learned about the overhead shelters.

These have undulating wavelike roofs over some parts of the platform. Each dip in the wave dumps it's contents towards the tracks. When the train came up and I had to step out of the shelter, I found that this flood was directed straight towards the car door. And looking down the platform, the next car door also had a perfectly aligned roof dip as well.

Is this some kind of convergent evolution where the train designers and the platform architects had arrived on the same spacing to ensure dumping the rain into each car door? Only future paleo's can tell.

For now, I'm home, it's raining like hell outside and glad to hear it. Maybe push the button on the fireplace remote and snuggle inside. Regards.

No comments: