Tuesday, March 2, 2010

She's off

About now my daughter is sleeping over in Joburg on her way to Madagascar. Took her to the airport Saturday morning for the first flight to Washington DC. United, easy checkin and into the security line almost before I had a goodbye hug. She was tearing up and so was I. What was I going to do now? Last one out of the nest and so far away. Thankfully her bag got ripped en route so my wife could do one last mommy thing and arrange for a cousin to meet her and buy a new bag. Did you know that Walmart can be open until midnight even on Sunday? I got to help over the phone to buy a new recharger for the camera battery that had been misplaced.

On the way home from SFO the clouds were breaking up and our bay was bathed in brilliant sunlight. An Evergreen lines container ship was under the bridge heading out for points east. On Angel island a couple white buildings were peaking out between the trees, bright bright bright. Alcatraz even looked like brand new.

I drove home in a daze. Sure the world can be a glorious place but what was I to do in it? Mulling all this over in my mind as I navigated on auto pilot. Drove right past our exit.

No comments: