Thursday, July 2, 2009

Oh, God, here I am

I'm here in the USA and going around like the proverbial chicken, headless. Got in fine, except for LOS to ATL at 13 hours is just too long, then husstle through customs and onto SFO flight for four more hours. I just don't know how to deal with people, everything is different. When the baggage guy throws my bag on the transit belt with unusual fury, should I take him to task? Or is his job to break everything in every bag?

And so quiet, what is it with you people, when someone is in your way at the baggage claim, do you just move away, or do you let them know what for? No talking allowed in the supermarket, caused a stir in Home Depot by actually demanding some help, no honking on the road, everything in whispers, what is with you people?

So much meat everywhere, I swear a lot of African families could eat for weeks at Costco, just from the demos. Me too. Had a haircut from the same woman who had cut me in March as I was leaving. She's Vietnamese and we shared some stories. Like the one about the watermelon that I bought yesterday with no seeds and no taste. She claimed that I was missing Africa and maybe I am. Would have been nice to settle into the back seat of the car and let Jesse drive, I am driving like Mr. Careful, don't know what the rules really are and some leftover caution from RSA as well. Left hand good, right hand bad!

And the TV stations are all different too. No rugby, no soccer and anyone ever heard of cricket? Is Wimbledon a foreign planet?

I swear, the USA is a bunch of narrow minded people who only care/know about their own country. But hey, the weather is great, the people understand what I am saying, and did I mention the weather? California sun. Hey Ho, let's go!

1 comment:

Sarah Seewoester-Cain said...

Sniff Sniff..you are making me miss Lagos! You should just ask someone at the grocery store where you can find the snails and chickens with the head still on...might be amusing=) Hope all is well in Walnut Creek!