Sunday, February 19, 2012

My new phone

It was determined that I need a phone that I would actually answer so the SO and I went down to the Verizon store. We have a family plan that actually spans the world from California to Boston to Grenada and Madagascar so that seemed sensible. Knowing very little about phones, I requested the model that the current hipsters demand, the iPhone 4S. And it's a beautiful money making machine for Apple.

First thing off the bat, I need to enter my email address and password. Bang! all my contacts sucked off to be analyzed for marketing opportunities, sorry guys. Now I'm presented with a screen full of useful apps, or more like Apple revenue opportunities.

  • You tube - ads to view and demographics to collect
  • Newsstand - subscriptions to sell for "news"
  • iTunes - totally controlled music to sell and to store
  • Stocks - who knows what this collects?
  • Camera - an opportunity to sell some storage options
  • Photos - another place to sell image storage
  • Game center - another place to collect information and sell content
  • Maps - only really useful if you enable the tracking feature for more collection
  • App store - at least this tells what it is, a store.
  • Weather - another way to get me to turn on location tracking
I did find out how to get most of these icons off the home page. Oh, I just remembered, I put in the password for my home network to get the maps working. I wonder where that will end up?

At 4.9 ounces it's a real money making heavyweight. Time to turn it off! Does it really?

1 comment:

mkaz said...

The Stocks app obviously collects and analyzes the distribution of ticker symbols to feed data to Apple investment bankers.

They need to figure out where to put their billions of dollars