Monday, August 9, 2010

Mansfield Park

Did you ever put a book down and lose your place? And then try to figure out where you were when you lost track? My little brother used to do that to me on purpose when I had left a book near my bedside, but this current situation is on a whole 'nother level. Back then, I could look at the side of the book and guess the place based on the wrinkles in the pages and then search back a forth a couple times until I was back on track. (or I could spent eight bucks for a gizmo like this)

This time, the cleaners knocked my book off the side table and then replaced it with no bookmark at all. I found the marker on the floor. But I have not been able to locate where I was reading. Why? It's all the same! The book is Mansfield Park by the much beloved Jane Austen, published in 1814. I admit I was having trouble figuring out what was going on, it took until about half way through (and a peek at the introduction) to realize that Fanny, the poor relative staying amongst the richer sisters was the main subject. Now when I pick a page to try to find my original place, it reads just the same as any other page I pick. It's completely confusing. It doesn't really matter that I had mostly figured things out, it's all gibberish now.

What's the lure of Sotherton? Why did Sir what's his name go to the West Indies? And why did he return at such an inopportune time and marry off that daughter so suddenly? And who the heck is Mr. Rushworth? Is that another name for Edmund? Why did Mr. Yates come and go so suddenly? And why did the author insist on using first names sometimes and surnames on other occasions? Was that to ensure I couldn't get things straight?

I am reassured by the fact that even the Austen fans don't all like this book. I think more experienced writers can get the idea that making sense is not that important and that's what this seems like to me. Even Ms. Austen's mother criticized the characters. Check out Austen.com to see what the Derbyshire Writers Guild thinks, it's a real hoot. Since Austen died a couple years after the publication, maybe she just didn't have it together anymore. Makes sense to me.

No comments: