Friday, May 14, 2010

Venice

OK, I admit, I really didn't enjoy my visit to Venice. It was too hurried, too expensive and I think Disney could do it better. Today I was talking to my daughter in Las Vegas, and since she missed out on our Italy trip I suggested she go over to the Venetian hotel and ride a gondola.

Her response, "It's just a boat ride through a shopping mall".

Well, I bet the water's cleaner, but other than that she nailed it, the real Venice is a shopping mall and many of the stores and brands you will recognize from your favorite local mall, wherever you live. Coach, Guess, Bvulgari, Camper, Annie, David Tate, Kate Spade, Tommy Hilfiger, Gucci and on and on. Both real and fakes are available. All these names might mean something to someone but to me they just mean standing around killing time. By the way, there are fines for possessing fake merchandise so keep that $50 Gucci bag in the shopping bag until later.

Besides fashion, there is pottery for sale, not just in Venice but all throughout Italy. The amazing thing is that it's made locally, wherever you are, and it all looks pretty much the same. Let me pass along a tip, next time you are in Santa Barbara stop in at the Pottery outlet. Wide selection, good prices and no worries about shipping or carrying it in your suitcase.

Then there's glass. In the lagoon there's the island of Murano. Touts and flyers are everywhere in Venice inviting you to a free boat ride to see the glass factorys. Also the shops that sell glass will gladly arrange for a boat to their factory. Once at the factory expect to be subjected to sales tactics that would make a used car dealer cringe. You're kind of stuck since only their boat goes to their dock so you'll just have to deal with it. Prices are astronomical and bargaining can be very rewarding. I suppose the good news is if you buy it there you know it's not fake and they are efficient and safe shippers. Or go to the glass museum next time you're in Tacoma and get every bit as good quality glassware.

And yes, there is a Disney store in Venice too, right near the Rialto bridge. Sigh.

No comments: