Monday, October 20, 2008

The hyacinth are in


And other musings on my return to West Africa.

Got back yesterday morning. Delta flight 50 was uneventful, but arriving on Sunday was a very good thing. Not much traffic, I wonder if it's just me, but my fascination with the ongoing spectacle along the roads was not near as fascinating as usual. It helps to be moving.

Seems this time of year, the water hyacinth bloom and take over large parts of the lagoon. This picture is from our balcony. Yesterday this was all green, then last night we had big rain and wind and a lot blew away to somewhere. I wonder where? The purple blooms are quite nice, but not if you are paddling a canoe or landing a float plane.

This morning when I went out on my bike, the mood was unusually calm. I wonder where everyone is? Maybe the rain last night canceled most construction projects for this morning. Very few people along the roads, most chop bars seemed closed.

More rain coming though. The dark clouds against the brown sky look especially ominous.

Violating rule number 2, waiting for a driver to come and take the car to the travel agent to pay for Christmas time travel tickets. Rose just called to say "They are sorting out the public transit".

Cook is downstairs, humming tunelessly as she chops. Sounds like home.

No comments: