Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sossusvlei


Since we stayed two nights at Le Mirage, we were able to take a tour of the area. Besides the sand dunes we also visited a couple of these "vleis". Meaning a pocket amongst the dunes that gets water every few years. Sossusvlei (I think) means big vlei and it is. That's my wife and daughter hamming it up on the mineral pan. They had climbed up that dune in the background while I enjoyed the shade of that tree on the far shore of the vlei above my daughter's left shoulder. Despite the barren aspect I saw an amazing amount of life going on. A couple of field mice were scurrying around, several birds in the tree and some big black scary insects. I was started from my reverie by the whoops and hollers of some folks running/sliding down the face of that dune behind my tree. These included my pals who stopped to dump the sand out of their shoes and enjoy the shade of my tree.

Africa rule number 1. Be in the shade. Although here the sun wasn't that strong, being winter and all, but still a good idea.

Map

Note on the Olympics: I have finally gotten what I thought I always wanted. Lots of Olympic events televised in full without back stories and America first boosterism. Have you actually seen a game of team handball? Possibly the stupidest most boring game ever invented. A bunch of yahoos run around with a ball until one player throws it into the other teams goal. Then they go do it at the other end. Archery is actually more exciting.

The satellite network DStv (out of RSA) is broadcasting 6 channels of Olympic events of which we are getting 2. So I'm seeing lots of events I never saw before and maybe never want to see again. Have you ever watched a complete field hockey game? Now I have.

No comments: