Thursday, April 3, 2008

Do Not Horn

That's what it says on the gate to our townhouse compound. So I never do, but when I come back from a bike ride, I do say "beep beep" to get the guards attention. He doesn't get it.

My bike had arrived the day before I had. So I unpacked it and pumped up the tires ready to go. My wife suggested 9:00 am as a good time. I figured that might be pretty hot, but did see the wisdom of waiting until after all the white collars had gone to work. I went at 08:30.

With a hearty "good morning, sir" from the gate guard I was off into the outside world. Well, not really very outside, still within the gates of our relatively secure community. It was supposed to be 5km for one lap around the loop road, didn't seem like a lot, maybe I'd do two.

It was all pretty pleasant. The roads are made with pavers, generally pretty smooth except for occasional dips and swirls, we are built on sand you know. There are a lot of speed bumps. Nice to keep the car speeds down and gives the cyclist something to hop over and sprint between.

After completing most of a lap, I decided to explore a bit. My wife knew some folks living on Road 64, so I thought I'd try to find that. I asked for directions and on the second try got good information and off I went down the middle of the peninsula. This had very few cars, compared to the outside loop road. So the riding was great, out to Road 64, then cut over on Road 28 and back home on Road 2.

There is a scheme to the road numbering that makes sense in a weird sort of way. You enter the community and at the first roundabout road 3 takes off to the left and road 2 continues straight. At the next roundabout road 2 continues straight and the road to the left becomes road 4 and then continues as road 5 and then road 6 straight down the middle. Road 2 and 3 end up looping around the whole thing. Roads between the middle road and road 2 are named road 24, 25, or 26 etc. depending on whether they meet the middle road at a point where it's named road 4, 5, or 6. Similarly roads between road 3 and the middle are similarly named road 34, 35, or 36 etc depending on where they meet the middle road. Roads off the middle road that don't go through to either road 2 or 3 are named like road 41, 42... and 51, 52... and 61, 62... to indicate what section of the middle road they extend from and that they are dead ends. Road 28 is from road 2 to the middle road beyond where it's named road 6 and the scheme kind of falls apart, road 64 is near that.

The Chinese restaurant is at the end of road 22 with is to the right at the second roundabout.

1 comment:

DavidR said...

I need a map .. or maybe sleep ... trying to understand your description of the streets is giving me a headache ;)