Monday, July 25, 2011

Spending public money

You know what really gets me, when a government agency (or charity) that has been pleading for funds gets a new makeover. In Contra Costa County, the animal services agency is always after money. Used to be known as the pound. I drove by there last Saturday and there were a bunch of new flags hanging off the light poles. Labeled "Animal Services". This is not like a place where people driving by will see the signs and get in to donate. There are very few passerbys, this is across the street from the sewage plant after all, out in northern Contra Costa county at the end of the creeks that go into the bay.

If you want to donate, please check here. The shelter does good work, no doubt but I wonder. When I drive by on Saturday morning, the most striking feature is the "night depository". Like for a bank I guess where you can drop off a bag into a secure place. But is this case, it's a wall of stainless steel doors of various sizes. I guess for the cat, a small door will do. "See you later fluffy!" as you slam the door behind her. For the larger doors maybe you will be hoisting the big galoot in and hoping he's too tired to care. "Later, Adoph!"

The numbers for the shelter are really disturbing. So many killed and few saved. Total intake last year 15596. Returned to owner 2065. Killed 15442. These are listed as owner/guardian requested but I think if there is no guardian then the county becomes the guardian and requests the kill.

I guess the most disturbing thing is the bright new flags in front of this house of death. I don't see any point in it, but I may be wrong since Maddie's fund is throwing around money right and left to shelters. But I must say, a flag never saved a puppy or kitten at least that I know of.

No comments: