Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Things I don't necessarily get

Maybe it's just me, but there are some things that I just don't get. Here they are:
  • Why is South Airport Blvd north of the airport? This one has bothered me for years and I noticed it again last Sunday. On 101 south from San Francisco to SFO the sign says "So Airport Blvd" like about 2 miles north of the airport.
  • Speaking of airplanes, often when coming into a airport the pilot will announce the temperature, wind and visibility. Like "visibility 12 miles". Dude, that's your problem, if it's enough to land the plane then it's enough for me. I would only care if there is so much fog that I couldn't see the road thank you very much.
  • Another favorite of mine that's maybe not to most people is the sign on I880 that announces "A Street Downtown". I'm really glad there's a street downtown, after all every downtown needs a street. I hope all of you driving past Hayward will get bugged too after reading this.
  • Behind me on the tube the Stanford women are up 12 to 5 in the NCAA finals and good for them. Flipped over and Houston and S.F. are tied in the second game of the season. Nothing says spring more than the rhythm of a baseball game. Yesterday at the first game the original President Bush was seated behind the plate and stayed for the whole game. Today he's back in the same seat and good for him too, nothing to do with politics but a guy who loves baseball and stays to the last pitch is something in my book.
  • So who's the genius that put the NCAA logo on the top of the backboard so that when the camera is shooting down for a free throw we get reminded what mega corporation in putting on the show. Oh, sorry, it's scholar athletes right?
I could go on about why the best places to turn left have "no left turn" signs or such similar nonsense. It's obvious to me that UConn is losing to Stanford because they have a man for a coach. How can he snap towels on the players after practice? Isn't that the essence of coaching?

Maybe I can think of more annoyances in the future but this will do for now. Hard to be grouchy with two good games on the tube.

No comments: