Monday, November 3, 2008

An open letter to the Ants

Dear Ants,

Your recent attack on the plates in the dish drainer has prompted me to send to you this letter. Up until now, I thought we had a good working relationship based on our mutual respect and understanding. Despite centuries of conflict in human/insect relationships, I had hoped that at least for our little corner of the world things might be different.

I had allowed you a trail from under the back door, into the kitchen to the trash basket. (single file only). This trail I had not molested and I viewed it as an accommodation that would avoid open conflict between our respective species. You, the ants, could forage in the waste that I clearly did not treasure and in return you would refrain from further incursions into the kitchen area.

There was the regrettable previous incident involving the bread box that I believe both sides would just as soon forget. The orgy of chemical and physical attacks upon your kind results in a shudder of horror when I recall it, and I can imagine your memories are even more horrifying. Let us leave that episode behind us and move forward towards a living in a peaceful harmony.

I am suggesting that we soften our stances and consider what may be most beneficial in our relationship going forward. I will continue to allow the trail to the trash basket and you will constrain your activities to just that single trail. I am aware that when I take out the trash some few of your population may be displaced to the garbage can at the end of the driveway. I commit to you that I will not harm those travelers except by accident and I think you may be able to arrange for their repatriation, although this may require your negotiation with the ants that live near the front of the house.

So, I leave it up to you, continue to respect the limits that I impose, and I will allow for the above mentioned freedoms. Please don't let our relationship degenerate again into an ugly and shameful conflict.

Regards,
The human at house 23

p.s. I am not liable in any way for ant predation caused by the resident Geckos in the kitchen or any other part of the house.

1 comment:

Marcus Kazmierczak said...

I hope your ants are understanding and the situation does not deteriorate into a prolonged conflict