Saturday, July 12, 2008

Looking around Jozi (another nickname for JNB)

Got to the hotel really early, around 08:00, since there was nothing else to do after exploring the airport and having breakfast. The clerk couldn't have been nicer, despite the early hour, checked me right in. Had a couple hours nap that I really needed after another overnight flight.

I was determined to get out for a walk despite the cold weather. Forecast high 16C. The shuttle driver had pointed out a flea market on the way to the hotel, so that seemed a good idea. The short walk was just what I needed so I went for a look. Too organized and permanent for my taste but fun to look around anyway. A band was playing in a courtyard sort of area to a pretty large crowd. I swear they were playing their own applause over the PA between songs, this on top of the singer lip syncing her part.

Bought a used Heinlein paperback (R15) from a nice lady and a tee shirt (R80) from another. Passed on the cap with the "big five" on the front. That's the five big game animals you are suppose to kill to be a real hunter. (look it up). Didn't really feel like wearing that symbol even if part of me knows that hunting is a big business here.

I also passed on the Soweto tour. That's the infamous slum south of the city that played a role in the fight against apartheid. That role included a lot of violence that is too recent for my stomach.

Coming out of the market I was a bit disoriented after navigating the aisles. But the clue to the way back to the hotel was right over my head. I had noticed that my room was right in the glide path for landings so I just followed the planes right back home.

This morning off to CPT.

2 comments:

Marcus Kazmierczak said...

Any good calculators in the market?

Jojo Potato said...

No, but I did see a pretty nice looking view camera. Wooden with leather bellows. You'll have to come and get it yourself.