Monday, August 31, 2009

Nirvana

Remember that Buddha guy who claimed shedding all your desires is the way to happiness? Maybe he was right, I've just achieved true Nirvana myself. And I did it with a 52 inch TV, HD cable and a DVR. I'm recording the U.S. Open (tennis) on one channel while watching Barca play Sporting Gijon on the other, and recording that too! The wife will appreciate the tennis, and just now I was able to replay the lovely header that Keita (Mali) nodded in for a Barca goal. I was making a sandwich at the time, but didn't really miss a thing!

Added to all that, my plumbing career is over, at least for a while. Last task was to hacksaw off a sink faucet that was too rusted to unscrew and it must have been at least 30C in that upstairs bathroom. Dripping with sweat after a few minutes of that.

Just one feature I'd like on the DVR, when I'm watching a show why can't I fast forward into the future. I know this match is a replay, after all the game was played yesterday, so just let me skip halftime and I'll pick up from there. But then I would have missed yesterday's highlights which included a Kaka goal and Renaldo penalty kick. I guess those millions are already paying off for Real (big budget) Madrid.

In weather news, there is a huricane spinning up the eastern Pacific towards Baja. This will spin that famous tropical moisture up into eastern California (and Nevada and Arizona) creating heavy storms in the Sierra. Please be careful up there and don't get caught out without adequate equipment. Expect flash floods in the desert.

No comments: